15 Steps to Better Digestion
Frequently, I am asked about “gut health” and the role digestion plays in our overall health. A lot of Digestive health issues can be easily changed with simple lifestyle adjustments. I have included 15 steps to better digestion in this post. Some great information, here!
Do you have constipation, gas, bloating, diarrhea or heartburn?
Here are simple ways to start changing how you feel from the inside out.
15 Simple Steps to Better Digestion
- More vegetables (Treat vegetables as the main dish).
- More whole foods, less processed foods.
- Do not ignore the urge to have a bowel movement. Listen to your body.
- Eat more fiber. You should consume 35-50 grams of fiber per day.
- Skip the NSAID’s/non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Regular use of these drugs can cause peptic ulcers in the digestive tract.
- Be careful of use and overuse of other drugs that create digestive problems. Too many antibiotics can strip your gut of good bacteria.
- Don’t overeat.
- Use herbs for digestion.
- Drink your liquids before and after meals, not during.
- Take your time and really chew-chew-chew. We start producing digestive enzymes in our mouth.
- Eat slower so you do not swallow a lot of air while you eat.
- Do all of the above and skip the laxatives, as your body becomes reliant on them and they are habit forming.
- Smoking and drinking can cause ulcers and heartburn.
- Know food sensitivities or allergies you may have. These can wreak havoc to your digestive tract.
- Don’t be afraid to enlist the help of a specialist (gastroenterologist). You may want to get a referral from a friend or relative. Remember that they are there to diagnose and treat, prevention lies in your hands.
In all I do I lead with authenticity and a true desire to guide people to be happy, healthy and whole. With an integrative approach to nutrition, health and life coaching, I use my experience as a Certified Integrative Nutrition Counselor, and a Registered Yoga Teacher to inspire you to live your best life. As the owner of 2B Well Integrative Health Center I am able to offer services and programs with the support of a multitude of resources. From individualized coaching to 6 month one-on-one sessions to a simple detox online program, we work together to effectively reach your current and future health goals and create life-long habits.
Contact me here: